Blog 7: Vaping is Deadlier Than You Think

Vaping is Deadlier Than You Think



For years, vaping was ‘perceived’ to be a safe alternative to smoking cigarettes or marijuana. Well, that perception is quickly being turned on its head. There have been several deaths and hundreds of severe illnesses reported over the last few weeks.The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has publicly claimed that there have been 450 people that have been sick and five of those have died.

Nobody using a vaping device today should assume they are immune from the risk of severe lung illness or even death, as it has not been determined what the exact cause of these episodes have been. 
Dr. Scott Schultz, President of Interventional Radiology in Minneapolis, confirms that vaping is indeed deadly. “Vaping is as bad as everyone is saying on the news.”



He also discussed how the effects of vaping causes severe illness whether or not the vape or Juul you’re using contains nicotine or THC. He has seen studies from lung experts suggesting that the sudden rise in  [lung related diseases] are most likely related to oil within the vaping substance. This oil results in lipoid pneumonia. According to the CDC, some symptoms include “ being short of breath, having some GI or gastrointestinal symptoms or nausea and vomiting and fevers.”

Lipoid pneumonia is difficult to treat as neither antibiotics or steroids work to heal the patient. According to a CDC report, “the patient is unable to breathe”. Once the patient reaches that state, they can progress to a fatal status. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states that “JUUL e-cigarette sales increased 641 percent during just one year, from 2.2 million devices sold in 2016 to 16.2 million devices sold in 2017”. 

Sophie Anderson is a High Point University student. Anderson, which is not her real name is  “really concerned about not only myself but my boyfriend who vapes almost every day. I started doing it when we started dating.” Since giving the facts to Anderson, she has since chosen to quit vaping and is encouraging her significant other to do the same. 
Brandon Pallante is another user and student at HPU who has been juuling for about two years now. “I only do it when I'm drinking with my friends on the weekends. I kinda just do it because it's fun.” Pallante also quit a month ago once made aware of the health effects.“ Well, I’ve stopped for about a month now. It's been really hard but I know my lungs are smiling at me!.”
Pallantes best friend and roommate Cam Nanagas, however, is not ready to give up vaping.  Nanagas said he only vapes when he’s been drinking. His favorite flavors are mint and mango. He started vaping 4 years ago because “I have an oral fixation problem so I like doing shit with my mouth. I was diagnosed with anxiety at a young age and the feeling of the oils in my mouth makes me feel really calm.”
Nanagas described oral fixation as the pleasure of moving your mouth. For example, chewing gum or rubbing your lips together after you apply chapstick. For Nanagas’ case, it’s when the Juul touches his mouth. “I have studied the health issues with vaping and have seen how toxic it is for you but for some reason I still do it.”  
According to data published this year from the National Safety Council, the percentage of teens who reported vaping within the past 12 months has increased dramatically to “record” levels, rising to 37% from 28% the prior year
Maybe think twice before you vape or hit the Juul when you are at your next party.

for more info about vaping click here





Comments